St. Christopher’s Evolves into All Saints in Big Sky
- In 1990, a small group of Episcopalians began meeting in private homes for evening prayer.
- In about 1992, Big Sky residents formed an interdenominational board to establish and plan the building of a Big Sky Chapel.
- In 1995, BSOA offices became the site for the Episcopal Sunday services with the Rev. J. McGrory coming to Big Sky for the 4-6 worshipers. With his retirement, worshipers were supported by St. James of Bozeman interim priest, the Rev. Dale Sarles.
- In the fall of 1996, the Convention of the Montana Diocese officially established Saint Christopher’s Episcopal Parish.
- In January of 1997, Bishop Cy Jones came to Big Sky for an official inaugural celebration, followed by bi-monthly celebrations of the Holy Eucharist with the Rev. Clark Sherman from St. James Episcopal and the Rev. Lorin Sanden from Hope Lutheran (both churches in Bozeman).
- On Mother’s Day of 1998, a ground breaking ceremony took place for the Big Sky Chapel. Bishop Cy Jones came on his annual visit in August, 1998, and blessed the chapel.
- Christmas of 1998 was the setting for the first Episcopal service in the new chapel.
- On Mother’s Day, 1999, the chapel was dedicated. Bishop Cy Jones, the Rev. Clark Sherman and other clergy attended and participated.
- In 2003, The Rev. Carol Sims traveled from Livingston to conduct Episcopal services. Two Lutheran pastors, the Rev. Tim Spring and the Rev. Darius Larsen alternated in leading services once a month.
- In 2006, the Rev. Mary Jacques traveled from Dillon to Big Sky to be our celebrant twice a month. The other Sundays continued to be covered by the Rev. Tim Spring and the Rev. Darius Larsen.
- Also in 2007, the Saint Christopher’s Vestry began a series of meetings, including visits with Bishop Franklin Brookhart, to explore options to actively include the Lutheran liturgy in worship services.
All Saints in Big Sky – A Shared Ministry of the Episcopal and Lutheran (ELCA) Churches
- After almost a year of meetings, the Union Congregation solution was agreed upon.
- On December 7, 2007, a Plan of Agreement for the formation of a Union Congregation by members of the Episcopal and Lutheran (ELCA) denominations was submitted to the Episcopal Diocese (Bishop Franklin Brookhart) and the Lutheran Synod (Bishop Jessica Crist). The Plan of Agreement, with revisions from both Bishops, was approved and All Saints in Big Sky was formed.
- A year later, on December 10, 2008, the Rev. Darius Larsen was installed as the first Pastor/Priest of All Saints in Big Sky.
- In January 2015, the Rev. Darius Larsen retired. During the calendar year, a call committee worked hard to find a new Pastor/Priest for All Saints. Throughout the search process, the Rev. Valerie Webster and the Rev. Mark Ramseth served as interim Pastor/Priests for All Saints.
- The Rev. Miriam Schmidt was called to serve as the full-time Pastor/Priest of All Saints. She was installed by Bishop Jessica Crist and Bishop Franklin Brookhart on January 17, 2016.
- The Rev. Valerie Webster continues to serve All Saints as an Associate Priest.
A Decade of Ministry
- All Saints in Big Sky celebrates 10 years of life as a shared ministry, and The Rev. Miriam celebrates 10 years of ordained ministry on July 29, 2018